Recipe Roundup is our weekly post where we ask our very own employees to give recipe suggestions on a weekly theme. Check back every Thursday to see what our coworkers are cooking!
The space of time between the fast of the 17th of Tammuz and the fast of the 9th of Av is typically known as the “Three Weeks”. In the 9 days leading up to the fast of Av it is traditional to abstain from eating meat during the week. Because of that, people like to take advantage of Shabbos and bring on their meat specialties in all their glory. Here are some of our staff favorites.
Grilled Skirt Steak Yisroel Pekkar, Data and Inventory Management
3 pounds skirt steak
1/2 bottle of red wine (a lean meat would suggest a Merlot) Drink the rest of the bottle! Meanwhile-
Fresh thyme, basil, garlic
Juice from 1 lemon
Coarse black pepper
- Soak Skirt Steak (skirt steak is generally very salty)
- Place meat in a dish
- Add the marinade ingredients and let marinade for up to 5 days in the fridge, turning the meat over every day you marinade.
- Grill on high for 10 minutes and flip, and grill for another 6 minutes. Grill for longer if you prefer medium to well done
We recommend that you pair the steak with two quick and easy side dishes, such as roasted potatoes and blanched asparagus.
Hamburgers Sol Horvitz, Customer Service
1 lb. Ground Beef
1 small onion, chopped
1 tbsp garlic (fresh or powdered)
1 tbsp chilli powder
- Combine first four ingredients.
- Pour enough honey to coat the meat in a thin layer.
- Mix well.
- Form into patties and grill to your liking (outdoor grill, or a grill pan works well too).
Wine expert Ari Lockspeiser says “a big Cabernet would be perfect for this dish. Herzog Limited Edition Ink Ranch Cabernet Sauvignon 2013.”
Latest posts by Rivqa Abrams (see all)
- Recipe Roundup – Dessert Madness - August 11, 2016
- Recipe Roundup – Meat Lovers’ Recipes for Shabbat During the 9 Days - August 4, 2016
- Recipe Roundup – Summer Salads - July 28, 2016